Pipe Cleaner Irish Hair Clip
This Irish hair clip
is perfect if you like to dress up for St. Patrick's Day.
These shamrock hair barrettes are very easy to make. This is an
excellent project for an older child. All you need is a hair barrette
and some green pipe cleaners! I like to use the solid green for the
base and glittery green pipe cleaners for the shamrock.
- Hair barrette (you can buy these
unfinished at a craft shop)
- cardstock or light cardboard paper
- 2 or 3 green (12 inch) pipe cleaners
- 1 sparkle green (12 inch) pipe cleaner
- Glue gun
1. Begin the Irish hair clip by measuring on the cardstock a rectangle
that is slightly longer than the hair barrette. You can make it any
thickness as you want. Then cut this out. This will be the base for
your hair barrette.
2. Start to wrap the solid green pipe cleaner around the cardstock to
completely cover it (see photo). When you get to the end of the pipe
cleaner, twist the end of it tightly to a new pipe cleaner and keep
wrapping. It took me two pipe cleaners to wrap this barrette.
3. When you are finished rolling, glue the rolled pipecleaner base to
the barrette. Let it dry like this upside down.
4. Next, make the pipe cleaner shamrock with the sparkle pipe cleaner.
Begin to roll it in a flat spiral, to make one of the three clover
leaves of the shamrock. After you have one leaf done (about 3
rotations), bring the pipecleaner across to the other side (as shown
below) and begin the next spiral. When that one is done, bring it to
the middle to do the next spiral. Don't worry if it looks messy on this
side with the overlapping pipe cleaner, because this is the back of the
shamrock. When you turn it over it will look great.
4. Glue the pipe cleaner shamrock to the barrette. You can either glue
it in the center or off to one side. All done!