I'm changing the look of this website, but it is a work in progress. You may notice some pages look different than others, until I get the update done. Thank you for your patience!
This candy cane pin is a cute
Christmas craft that can be
made using only a few materials. You will need tri-beads, a
pipe cleaner, and some lace with holes in it for ribbon.
I've gotten several questions about where to find the lace. I have seen this type of lace at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Crafts and More, and Michaels. If you would like an online source, search for "lace with holes for ribbon" or "eyelet lace trim".
These are fun to put together and are easy to make in quantity, since the materials are very inexpensive since you can buy the beads in multi-packs.
pin will look festive on your winter coat or Christmas sweater, or try
selling them at your next Christmas bazaar!
1. Begin the candy cane pin by cutting the red pipe cleaner to six inches. The lace ribbon you will need works best if there are holes in the ribbon for threading, as shown below.
2. Begin by threading on a red tri-bead. Then, thread the ribbon on to the pipe cleaner, using one of the lacey "holes" to thread it on. Begin at the very end of the ribbon, and cut off any excess ribbon.
3. Next thread on a green tri-bead, and wrap the ribbon up to thread it on again, through one of the holes, as shown. Continue threading on the beads and ribbon, alternating bead colors, until you get near the end of the pipe cleaner.
4. Bend the pipe cleaner into the shape of a candy cane, as shown below.
5. Secure the ends of the pipe cleaner by wrapping and twisting each end securely around the last tri-bead.
6. If desired, add a bow for additional decoration. To imitate the look shown here, you will need a small length of ribbon tied into a bow, a small length of wire, and some artificial holly berries.
7. Wrap the wire around the bow, then wrap the berries around the center of the bow. Use the wire to wrap the adornment securely to the pin. Finish by gluing a pin backing to the candy cane pin, and it is ready to wear.