Soup Can Bunnies
Recycled Craft Ideas
These cute soup can bunnies are made using the lid of a soup
can or vegetable can. Their cheeks are bottle tops.
After adding some googly eyes, some felt pieces, and a pom
pom nose, these soup can bunnies are ready to be made into anything you
You can add a magnet to the back, or make it into a pin.
It would make a cute gift tag, or add it to a stick to place
in a flower pot or place in the yard.
These can be put
together easily by children.
If you are making a lot of
these, spray paint the soup lids and the bottle tops ahead of time.
Once dry, they can be assembled very quickly.
sure to use a can opener that will not cause sharp edges around the can
Needed for the Soup Can Bunnies:
- soup or vegetable can lid (use an opener that will not
cause sharp edges)
- bottle cap (try not to bend it when removing it)
- spray paint (or paint by hand using acrylic paints, like I
- 12 inch chenille stem
- 2 googly eyes
- 1 pom pom
- small piece of white felt or white foam board
- pink felt
- black marker
1. Begin the soup can bunnies by painting the soup can
lids and bottle caps. It is easier to spray paint them.
However, I didn't have spray paint in the colors I wanted so
I painted mine by hand with acrylic paint. This works well
too, but you have to give them several coats, allowing it to dry in
between. If this is a group project, you may want to paint
these beforehand so they are all ready to assemble.
2. Next, cut two small rectangles of white felt or white foam board and
glue them on the soup cans, as shown. These will be the
3. Glue two bottle caps on top of the teeth. Ordinary white
glue can work but a hot glue gun adheres immediately and is stronger.
If you used white glue, allow this to dry well before going
4. Glue on a pom pom nose and two googly eyes.
5. Cut a 12 inch chenille stem in half so you have two pieces that are
6 inches long. Bend them to look like ears. Add a
line of glue to one side of the ear, all along. Then, glue
the ears down on felt. I used hot glue from a glue gun, which
adhered immediately. If you use white glue, allow it to dry
before going on to the next step.
6. Cut out the bunny ears from the felt, as shown.
7. Glue the ears behind the soup can lid. Using a black
marker, add little dots to the bunny cheeks.
Like This Page?
Click Here to Order my 650 page ebook, A
Year of Creative Crafts
Work From Home
- I've turned my
passion for crafting into an extra income with
Crafts-For-All-Seasons.com - find out how you could do the